The kiddos' tasty handiwork from the other night
Stuff you need:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter or vegan butter substitute (Earth Balance is my fave!)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour, plus a little more for dusting your roller, countertop, and cookie cutters
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (fine crystals, not coarse!)
How to make 'em:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add eggs and vanilla and mix on low speed until combined.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
4. Slowly add dry ingredient mixture to butter-sugar mixture and mix at medium speed until thoroughly combined.
5. Add eggs and vanilla, and mix for another 30 seconds or until all ingredients are well combined.
6. On a thoroughly sanitized counter top (this is important- food-borne illness causes many, many deaths each year. Don't let yourself or someone you love become a statistic!) dusted with flour, roll out your cookie dough using a lightly floured rolling pin, to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out with your favorite cookie cutters (you can dip them in flour if your cookies are sticking.)
7. Place cookies on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on your oven.)
8. Decorate with your favorite frosting (this one is my favorite- I swap the corn syrup for additional water; it makes a great icing that dries nicely so that you can stack and store your cookies) and sprinkles! (If you want to use sprinkles without frosting the cookies you will need to put the sprinkles on before you bake them.)