I had a few leftovers in my fridge that needed to be used up... some cooked chicken breasts, about 1 cup of crushed tomatoes, and a bowl of cooked rice. I put them all together and voila! Chicken chili!
2 medium sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled or baked til done
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, minced
1 16 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 16oz can beef broth
1. In a large pot, bring the beef broth to a simmer. Add the onion, garlic, and all the seasonings. Stir well.
2. Add crushed tomatoes. Stir well.
3. Chop the cooked chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Add to pot and- yep, you guessed it- stir well.
4. Stir in the kidney beans.
5. Cover pot and simmer over low heat for 1 hour. You can also throw this into the Crock Pot on low for a few hours if you need to run out somewhere.
6. Spoon over long-grain white rice and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Serve with a nice crusty hunk of bread and enjoy.
The chili was really good and a big hit with the resident food critics.
Dessert was lemon pound cake from a box... okay so I cheated, but darn if it wasn't still really good. ;)